Uninsured and Underinsured Motorist Claims

UM/UIM claims are complex, with many legal loopholes for insurance companies to use to deny and limit coverage. If you are injured in a motor vehicle collision, seek the advice of an experienced personal injury attorney who works with automobile and insurance law. We offer such consultations at no cost to the injured person.

Get the Insurance Coverage You Paid For

Oregon laws require insurers to offer uninsured motorist insurance (UM) and underinsured motorist insurance (UIM) to anyone buying liability automobile insurance. Uninsured motorist insurance pays the insured when he or she is injured by another driver who doesn’t have any liability insurance. Underinsured motorist coverage provides compensation when the insured is injured by another driver whose liability insurance coverage will not fully compensate the injured person. UM and UIM are typically contained in the same section of an automobile insurance policy, and the premium paid is for both coverages.

Oregon laws require all drivers to carry motor vehicle liability insurance coverage of not less than $25,000. The laws require the insurer to offer UM/UIM coverage in an amount not less than $25,000. If the insured is purchasing a higher amount of liability insurance than the statutory minimum of $25,000, the insurance company must offer their insured UM/UIM with limits of the same amount.

Though UM/UIM coverage must be “offered” to an insured, he/she can chose to refuse or waive the coverage entirely, or to purchase an amount less than the liability coverage. If they chose to do so however, Oregon law requires the insurance company obtain a written waiver of coverage signed by the insured attesting to that decision.

It is not uncommon for people to be injured by a driver who has no liability insurance or just the minimum limits of $25,000. If you waive your UM/UIM coverage or insure yourself at a low level, there is a risk you will be without adequate resources to protect yourself and your family if a traumatic injury in a motor vehicle accident happens. It’s worth it to spend the few extra dollars required to carry UM/UIM coverage and to have limits of more than the minimum. This coverage is your best investment.